University of Minnesota 2015 May Global Seminar: Vive Les Arts: Paris-Inspired Music, Art & Literature

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Picasso was one weird fella

Everyone has heard of Pablo Picasso, the celebrated Spanish painter, oui? 



Well on Wednesday, I got to visit Musée Picasso, the art gallery that houses over 5,000 (that's right, 5K) pieces of his original work and a few pieces of work by other artists that are dedicated to him.

Musée Picasso was much, much smaller than the other museums we have been to thus far, which I really liked because I didn't feel too worn out by the end of it and was able to keep my attention span in check throughout. 

By far, my favorite museum so far.

I thought, psh, of course I know Picasso - he does all the crazy work with naked people sitting on armchairs. The ones where you can only tell that there is a face and a body and a chair after you've read the piece title. And that one painting with all the people and animals with strange deformed, floating, stretched out faces. ("Guernica") Yeah, psh, I know him.

I SO DID NOT KNOW PICASSO. 

His work was so much weirder than I was familiar with, which I thought was absolutely fabulous. Here are some of my favorites:










What surprised me the most about his work was the number of mediums he worked with as an artist. When our proffesor said that he personified about 40 different artists in just one lifetime, she was not kidding. I mean really he was a painter, a sculptor, a printmaker, a ceramicist, a stage designer, a poet, a playwright...and those are just categories! In his sculptures he used sheet metal, wire, mesh, string, wood, tree branch, nails, bronze, plywood, screws, etc. In his "paintings" he used oils, pastels, inks, sand, acrylic, pencil, crayon, charcoal, etching, pressed cork, water-based paints, etc. 
I mean come on, that is amazing, and how fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment